Facial Rejuvenation, also known as “rhytidectomy” or “meloplasty” is the surgery performed to tighten the skin on the face and neck and the removal of fat from the facial area and underneath the chin.The face takes on a more youthful appearance, looking firmer and more refreshed. Both wrinkles and those unwanted lines or excess skin that hangs beneath the chin are drastically reduced. A facelift restores smoother, more pleasing contours to your face and neck. It can help you look as good as you feel, and perhaps younger than you are.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR FACELIFT
You may be a good candidate for facelift if you observe any one or more of the following:
- A deep line or fold, running from the corner of your nose to the corner of your mouth
- Jowls or loss of a well-defined jaw line associated with youthfulness
- Deep wrinkles in the cheeks and sagging of the “highlight” areas of the cheekbones
Loose skin, wrinkles, vertical “cords” or excess fatty tissue in the neck
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR CONSULTATION
We give utmost importance to patient confidentiality and take strictest care to ensure your privacy. The staff at CPLSS understands that it can be difficult for a patient to make enquiries about such a delicate matter. It is their aim to make you feel as relaxed, comfortable and fully informed about the procedure as possible. Our staff will be happy to help you make an appointment with Dr. Viral Desai.During your consultation, Dr. Viral Desai will ask you about the results you will expect from surgery. He will inform you of the risks and complications as well as the benefits and whether or not your expectations are realistic.PRE-OPERATIVE PREPARATIONS
- You should stop smoking (including the use of nicotine patches), intake of any blood thinning tablets (i.e. aspirin/disprin) and intake of vitamins at least one week prior to surgery
- Medicines prescribed by Dr. Viral Desai should be taken as advised
- Fasting is required for 7 hours prior to surgery
- You should inform Dr. Viral Desai of any reactions to medications, general anaesthetics or tapes
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY OF SURGERY
Your admission time will approximately be 30-60 minutes prior to your surgery. You will have fasted for 7 hours prior to this. You will be required to be accompanied by a responsible person who would need to be with you for 24 hours after the procedure. You need to wear loose comfortable clothing – with a top that is either buttoned or zipped at the front – not one that is pulled over the head. A total facial rejuvenation procedure will take approximately 4-5 hours.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY
After your surgery, you will be taken to a recovery area. It is at this time you may experience some discomfort. You may experience some of the following effects post surgery:
- Hair loss at the incision areas; however, this is usually not permanent
- Bruising of the face, which usually subsides after a couple of weeks
RISKS, COMPLICATIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Facial Rejuvenation is performed regularly by Dr. Viral Desai. It is a relatively safe procedure however it is important to understand that there are certain risks, complications and side effects, before deciding to go ahead with surgery. Dr. Viral Desai will discuss these points in detail with you. They include:
- Wound infection requiring antibiotics.
- Pain and discomfort due to swelling of the face.
- Haematoma which may require readmission and surgery to remove it.
- Nausea, relating to the length of general anaesthetic.
- If you colour your hair, this should be done prior to surgery
- As you are under anaesthesia longer than most other cosmetic procedures, you should be as healthy as possible, thus making your post-operative recuperation easier.
YOUR NEW LOOK
Chances are excellent that you’ll be happy with your facelift-especially if you appreciate that results may not be immediately apparent. Even after the swelling and bruises are gone, the hair around your temples may be thin and your skin may feel dry and rough for several months. Men may find they have to shave in new places-behind the neck and ears-where areas of beard- growing skin have been repositioned.You’ll have some scars from your facelift, but they’re usually hidden by your hair or in the natural creases of your face and ears. In any case, they’ll fade within time and should be scarcely visible.
Having a facelift doesn’t stop the clock. Your face will continue to age with time, and you may want to repeat the procedure one or more times-perhaps five or ten years down the line. But in another sense, the effects of even one facelift are lasting; years later, you’ll continue to look better than if you’d never had a facelift at all.