Breast lift is a procedure for correcting the size, contour and elevation of breasts. Breast lifts are preferred by women for a variety of reasons:
- To reshape sagging breasts and improve the contour of the breast shapecaused by loss of skin elasticity due to weight loss, pregnancy or breast feeding
- To increase firmness of breasts
- To lift and increase breast size
- To reduce size of the areola
- To reposition the nipple if it is pointing downward
Oftentimes, an augmentation (breast implant) procedure is carried out at the time of a breast lift procedure. Breast lift augmentation is also preformed in conjunction with breast reconstruction following mastectomy or if there is a deformity with one or both breasts.
|BREAST LIFT TECHNIQUE
Commonly, a breast lift requires incisions to be made around the areola, down the breast and horizontally along the natural curve of the crease underneath the breast. When Dr. Viral Desai has removed the excess skin and fat from the breast, the nipple and areola are repositioned and closed with sutures. The locations of the incisions however depend on the size of your breast and its contour. You case may be suitable for a minimal scar method. Stitches are removed over a 2-week period post-operatively.AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A BREAST LIFT
You may be a good candidate for breast lift surgery if you have one or more of the following conditions:
- Breasts that are pendulous, but of satisfactory size
- Breasts that lack substance or firmness
- Nipples and areolas that point downward, especially if they are positioned below the breast crease
We recommend a breast lift procedure only when breast development, childbirth or breast-feeding has stopped.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR CONSULTATION
We give utmost importance to patient confidentiality and take strictest care to ensure your privacy. The staff at CPLSS understands that it can be difficult for a patient to make enquiries about such a delicate matter. It is their aim to make you feel as relaxed, comfortable and fully informed about the procedure as possible. Our staff will be happy to help you make an appointment with Dr. Viral Desai.
During your consultation with Dr. Viral Desai, you will discuss your desired breast shape and your expectations from the breast lift surgery. Dr. Viral Desai will evaluate the information and advise you on whether the results you want can be realistically achieved. You will need to inform Dr. Viral Desai of your medical history, including medications you may be currently taking, if you have had prior breast surgery, lumps or cysts removed, breast biopsies or if you intend to lose weight or have recently experienced weight loss or any serious illnesses (if you have had any previous mammograms, please bring all relevant information to the consultation.) Dr. Viral Desai will also need to know if you are intending to have children in the future and want to be able to breast-feed. A thorough examination of your breasts will take place, and measurements taken. He will examine the skin elasticity and texture, and will check the position of your nipples and areolas. You should expect the consultation to last for at least 30 minutes.Pre-operative photographs will be taken at the consultation.
PREPARING FOR BREAST LIFT
- Dr. Viral Desai may require you to have a mammogram prior to your surgery.
- A Betadine wash should be applied to the chest and armpit area after showering two weeks prior to surgery.
- You should stop smoking (including the use of nicotine patches), intake of any blood thinning tablets (i.e. aspirin/disprin) and intake of vitamins at least one week prior to surgery
- Fasting is required for 7 hours prior to surgery
- You should inform Dr. Viral Desai of any reactions to medications, general anaesthetics or tapes
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY OF SURGERY
You will be given an admission time, usually 1-2 hours prior to surgery. You will have fasted for 7 hours prior to surgery.
RISKS, COMPLICATIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Breast uplift surgery is a safe procedure that has been performed on thousands of women with very rewarding results. However you should be aware of the risks and complications before proceeding with surgery. Dr. Viral Desai will discuss these in detail with you at your consultation. They include:
- Infection requiring treatment with antibiotics
- Bruising and swelling- this will subside in a couple of weeks
- Scars which take longer to fade and become thickened
- Loss of sensation in the nipple area may occur; however, this is rare and will subside in time
YOUR NEW LOOK
While every effort is made to make your scars as inconspicuous as possible, it is important to remember that mastopexy scars are extensive and permanent. They often remain lumpy and red for few days, then gradually become less obvious, sometimes eventually fading to thin white lines. Fortunately, the scars can usually be placed so that you can wear even low-cut tops.
You should also keep in mind that a breast lift augmentation won’t keep you firm forever-the effects of gravity, pregnancy, aging, and weight fluctuations will eventually take their toll again. Women who have implants along with their breast lift may find the results last longer.Your satisfaction with a breast lift is likely to be greater if you understand the procedure thoroughly and if your expectations are realistic.